Two of the greatest fermented foods known to human-kind: cheese and kimchi. Why not marry them? Bring this savory and spicy dish to your next potluck or holiday celebration for a fresh spin on a comforting classic! Easily double the dish if brought to a large gathering.
Baked Mac & KimCheese
Recipe and Photography by Sam Burgess
CHI Kitchen Foods
- ¾ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon gochugaru (Korean chili flake), optional
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for buttering the dish
- 8 ounces dry elbow macaroni
- 2-¾ cups milk
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2-½ cups (10 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (3 ounces) grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 cup CHI Kitchen Napa Kimchi
- Preheat the oven to 375℉ degrees. Lightly butter a 1.5-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Place breadcrumbs and gochugaru (Korean chili flake) in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan on the stove or bowl in the microwave, melt 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter. Pour melted butter over the breadcrumb mixture and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add elbow macaroni pasta and cook 2 fewer minutes than the box directions, or until the outside of pasta is done but the inside is still firm. Transfer macaroni to a colander and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk over medium heat. In a large high-sided skillet over medium heat, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and whisk in flour. Cook, stirring, until everything is combined, about 1 minute. Slowly pour hot milk into the flour mixture, whisking constantly, until the milk is incorporated and the mixture thickens.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, dijon mustard, 2 cups of grated white cheddar, ½ cup grated pecorino Romano, and ½ cup of the CHI Kitchen Napa Kimchi. Stir partially cooked macaroni into the cheese sauce.
- Pour the macaroni mixture into the buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup Napa Kimchi over the top, followed by the remaining ½ cup white cheddar, ½ cup pecorino Romano, and finally all the spiced breadcrumbs.
- Bake until breadcrumbs are browned on top, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
- The Chi Kitchen Napa Kimchi contains fish sauce, so substitute with our Vegan Kimchi if cooking for vegetarians!
- There is plenty of salt in the kimchi and cheese, so no need to salt the water while cooking the elbow macaroni pasta.
- This dish can be prepared up to step 6 and refrigerated for up to two days until ready to cook and serve. Heat the oven to the same 375℉ degrees and bake until warmed through and browned on top.
Follow along with our delicious recipes and bring Chi Kitchen to your kitchen!