This easy cornbread is made so much better with the addition of aromatic and flavorful kimchi then baked in a hot cast-iron skillet for buttery and crunchy edges. Top it with sweet-spicy kimchi honey and you’ll never think of cornbread the same!
Skillet Kimchi Cornbread
Recipe and Photography by Sam Burgess
CHI Kitchen Foods
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal or polenta
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup CHI Kitchen Napa Kimchi or Vegan Kimchi, chopped (8 ounces)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons CHI Kitchen Kimchi juice
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Place a 9-inch cast-iron skillet or 9-inch square baking dish into the oven to heat up.
- Using a tablespoon measure, press down on the CHI Kitchen Napa Kimchi or Vegan Kimchi to extract kimchi juice without any vegetable pieces and place it into a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mix and add ½ cup melted butter, buttermilk, chopped kimchi, and eggs. Fold together to combine until it just comes together (do not overmix the batter).
- Carefully remove the preheated skillet or dish from the oven with oven mitts, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, and swirl to coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Pour cornbread batter into the hot skillet or dish and adore that sizzle!
- Place back into the hot oven and bake until the cornbread begins to brown on top and a steak knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20-23 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add honey to reserved kimchi juice and mix together until combined. Reserve.
- Once the cornbread is baked, remove it from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Evenly slice into 9 or 12 pieces and drizzle with kimchi honey. Enjoy while warm!
- If you don’t have buttermilk make your own by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar (or freshly squeezed lemon juice) to 1 cup of room temperature milk. Mix together and let sit for 5 minutes. Done!
Follow along with our delicious recipes and bring Chi Kitchen to your kitchen!